Photo Roulette Round #100: Celebrate
We were excited to be chosen by Jetwayz as the winner for Round #99 of Photo Roulette! The theme was “Spiritual Beauty” and the photo we submitted was taken at Prasat Bayon temple in the Angkor Archaelogical Park. It is one of my favorite photos and memories from the time we spent at Angkor.
Travel Photo Roulette Round #100: CELEBRATE
As winners of the last round, its our duty to be hosting the 100th Round of Travel Photo Roulette and choosing the next theme! Jeremy from Living the Dream RTW started this back in 2010 and its pretty awesome that its made it to the 100th round. In celebration, we think it is only appropriate to choose the theme “Celebrate” for the next round.
Let’s see some celebratory moments you have captured – whether its families during a holiday, friends at a festival or event, a birthday party, a wedding, or even that moment when you finally ticked that one item off your bucket list (hiking a volcano, riding in a hot air balloon, getting your first passport stamp, etc.). These are all causes for celebration – but how did you best capture them in a photo? We can’t wait to see!
Example of Celebrate: Celebrating Munich’s “City Foundation Festival” – the birthday of the City.
***AND THE WINNER IS***
STREET FOOD WORLD TOUR
There were so many great photos to choose from, depicting many moments of Celebration from around the world. It made it really difficult to pick just one! However, this shot of the little boy celebrating the Thai New Year just stood out to us – you can just see the happiness and joy in his smile and how much fun he is having. Amazing capture!
Thanks to everyone that participated and looking forward to the next round!
#1 Tash at Jouljet
“Taken as the clock strikes midnight, and the fireworks begin to ring in the New Year over the Opera House and the Habour in Sydney. There is nothing quite like this impressive display to start a new year, and it’s incredible to be there for it. A cracker! Ha ha, and you can see every phone and camera held in the air, trying to capture the moment, too!”
#2 Jeremy at Living the Dream RTW
“My entry is the biggest celebration we’ve ever attended – Oktoberfest in Munich! We loved the ambiance at this event, even though the crowds of hundreds of thousands of visitors is normally too much for us. Nothing like enjoying a giant pretzel, a large beer, and singing with a few (thousand) of your newest friends.”
#3 Lance at TravelAddicts
“No better reason to celebrate than a wedding! At the Scarborough Renaissance Festival in Texas, a wedding was a cause break out the finest dress and be merry!”
#4 Nick at GB Explorers
“Here is my entry for round 100…After completing the epic Devizes to Westminster Canoe & Kayak Marathon I caught this team celebrating the accomplishment.”
#5 Suzanne at Boomeresque
“In the United States, the Fourth of July is a very big deal. It’s the day we celebrate our declaration of independence from Great Britain in 1776. Along with picnics/barbecues with family and friends, fireworks are almost inevitably part of the celebration everywhere—big elaborate displays in major cities and smaller, but no less exuberant, displays in towns and hamlets. This photo of some fireworks exploding over Atlantic City, New Jersey, was taken from our deck on the next barrier island north of there, in Brigantine, New Jersey.”
#6 Josie at House Sitting Travel
“On New Year’s Eve in Baltimore, Maryland, USA, Conrad and I spent a fun evening wandering the waterfront and happened upon this laser light show, searchlights, and fireworks, all rolled into one photo. I love how the lasers make the building facade look like a veritable cartoon.”
#7 Jess at Ice Cream and Permafrost
“Here’s some folks having a good time at my favorite celebration: Mardi Gras in New Orleans.”
“In my opinion, the best celebration in the whole world is the Songkran festival on the Thai new year. It’s such a beautiful and fun event. People of all ages come out for a friendly water fight in the middle of the streets. My favorite moment from Songkran was one little boy who took special interest in us and whenever we would squirt him he would burst into laughter.”
How To Enter Photo Roulette Round #100
Leave a comment below with a link to your photo (WP, Flickr, Trover, etc) and tell me about the celebratory moment you captured and/or why you chose that photo. Submissions must be in by April 24.
Travel Photo Roulette Rules & Guidelines
- One submission per blog, so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry.
- Post processing is permitted in this round.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
- Please try and keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized.
- If you win, keep these in mind when choosing a new theme: Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is okay to say focused things such as “monuments at night” which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic ‘signs’, or abstract ‘religion’
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque,” or “Overlooking Creation.” Use something that is able to be interpreted by all.
- After 1 year, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, all photographs must be your own.
- One last rule, since this is a competition for travel and photography bloggers, you must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Sorry!
Continue checking back throughout the week as I will keep this post updated with the entries.
Feel free to share this post on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Trover and StumbleUpon so more people can join the contest – make sure to use the hashtag #PhotoRoulette
Here’s the list of the previous 99 Rounds of the Travel Photo Roulette contest. Be sure to check out these other amazing photographers/bloggers and photos!
- Nov 2010 Living the Dream Animals
- Nov 2010 Skinny Backpacker Road Signs
- Nov 2010 Dream a Little Dream Street Art
- Dec 2010 Flashpacker HQ Festival
- Dec 2010 Over Yonderlust Landmarks
- Dec 2010 Don’t Ever Look Back Beaches
- Jan 2011 ThePlanetD Portraits
- Jan 2011 Travel with a Mate Motion
- Jan 2011 Johnny Vagabond Water
- Feb 2011 Ken Kaminesky Urban
- Feb 2011 Travels of Adam Friday Night
- Mar 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles The Journey
- Mar 2011 Brendan’s Adventures Changing Seasons
- Apr 2011 Shutterfeet Storytelling
- Apr 2011 10 Times One Piousness
- Apr 2011 Beached Eskimo Learning
- May 2011 Travel Junkies Architecture
- Jun 2011 Destination World Transportation
- Jun 2011 Living the Dream Paradise
- Jun 2011 Vagabond Quest Clothes
- Jul 2011 The Unframed World Symmetry
- Jul 2011 Beached Eskimo Home
- Jul 2011 BackPackerBanter Inspiration
- Aug 2011 WanderingTrader Darkness
- Aug 2011 Finding the Universe Tranquillity
- Sep 2011 Fearful Adventurer Food
- Sep 2011 Adventures of a GoodMan City
- Oct 2011 Globe-Trekking.com Reflection
- Oct 2011 Scene With A Hart Framing
- Nov 2011 Vagabond Quest Silhouettes
- Nov 2011 Hecktic Travels Music
- Dec 2011 Globetrotter Girls Love
- Dec 2011 Man on the lam Humor
- Jan 2012 My Walkabout Winter
- Jan 2012 The Art of Slow Travel Blue
- Feb 2012 Ten times One Depth of the Field
- Not hosted anymore
- Mar 2012 Nomadbiba Sunshine
- Mar 2012 Travel With Kat Local Character
- Apr 2012 The Travel Bunny Street Scene
- Apr 2012 Adventure Crow Spirit of the Country
- May 2012 Food Travel Bliss Evening
- May 2012 Matt Gibson Adventure
- May 2012 Flashpacker HQ Once In A Lifetime
- Jul 2012 Skinny Backpacker Surreal
- Aug 2012 2away Smile
- Aug 2012 Bridges and Balloons Excellent Splendour of the Universe
- Sep 2012 The GypsyNester What the ?!
- Oct 2012 Runaway Juno Sweet
- Nov 2012 GQ Trippin Play
- Nov 2012 Life’s Little Victories Friendship
- Dec 2012 Breakaway Backpacker Face
- Jan 2013 Fly, Icarus, Fly Serendipity
- Feb 2013 Travel Transmissions Lost in Thought
- Feb 2013 Wanderlusters The Natural World
- Mar 2013 Travel Junkies Patterns
- Apr 2013 Living the Dream Your First Time
- May 2013 Getting Stamped The Sun Goes Down
- Jun 2013 The GypsyNester Cheesy Tourist Diversions
- Jun 2013 Boomeresque Revolution
- Jul 2013 Breakaway Backpacker Colorful
- Aug 2013 Around This World Mountains
- Aug 2013 Passports and Pamplemousse Hands at Work
- Sep 2013 TurtlesTravel Dance
- Sep 2013 Keep calm and travel The Sea
- Sep 2013 Travel Photo Discovery The Market
- Oct 2013 Am I Nearly There Yet? Travel Fails
- Oct 2013 The GypsyNester Weird Regional Foods
- Nov 2013 Sophie’s World Trees
- Nov 2013 SHOuTography Party
- Dec 2013 Adventures of a Goodman Ruin
- Dec 2013 Have Blog Will Travel Light
- Jan 2014 This World Rocks Crowds
- Jan 2014 Travel Past 50 Competition
- Feb 2014 The Working Traveller Working
- Mar 2014 Travels with Carole Umbrellas
- Apr 2014 Independent Travel Help Quirky
- Apr 2014 Quit Job Travel World Statues
- May 2014 Nomad is Beautiful People Sleeping
- May 2014 Backpack Me Mouthwatering
- Jun 2014 20 Years Hence The Face of A Nation
- Jul 2014 Two for the Road Into the Wild
- Jul 2014 TurtlesTravel Summer!
- Aug 2014 Adventures Around Asia Candid
- Aug 2014 Travel with Kevin and Ruth Hiking
- Sept 2014 Till The Money Runs Out Transport
- Sept 2014 The Crowded Planet Wild World
- Sept 2014 ZigZag On Earth The 4 Element
- Oct 2014 Travel Addicts Heritage
- Oct 2014 Living the Dream Your Grand Adventure
- Oct 2014 Getting Stamped Inspire
- Nov 2014 Flashpacker HQ Viewpoint
- Jan 2015 Adventures of a GoodMan WOW!
- Jan 2015 ZigZag On Earth Roads and Tracks
- Feb 2015 Where’s The Gos? Street Art
- Mar 2015 Ice Cream and Perma Frost Frozen
- Mar 2015 Journey Jottings Detail
- April 2015 House Sitting Travel What’s your Angle?
- April 2015 JetWayz Spiritual Beauty
- April 2015 The Trading Travelers Celebrate